Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Martha's Vinyard

Martha's Vineyard is the place to be in the summertime. I've only been there once but I'd love to go back anytime. There are so many different little towns throughout it. Since it’s completely surrounded by water, being an island, you have to take a ferry to get there. People vacationing or people who live on the island with jobs off the island have the option to bring their cars with them on the ferry. At certain points it can be romantic and at others it can be just meant for families. It’s a vacation spot that can be meant for everyone. Even if you don’t have a car, there are ways to get around. A lot of the places you want to go to are fairly close and in walking distance. But, if it’s just too far to walk, then you can also rent bikes, scooters, or mopeds to get around. Finally, if your destination is just too far away for both of those options, there are taxis all over town and you can always call them up to have them pick you up from where you are.
The only “big name” store on the island is Dairy Queen. All of the stores on the island are all special and unique. There isn’t even a Dunkin Donuts in sight on the whole island. The only reason that the Dairy Queen is on the island is because the chief of police had it put there. Also, most of the people on the island are very friendly, nice and very interactive with all the tourists.
“Spent a morning in Menemsha, checking out its shops, beautiful harbor, and beach. It's main street is picturesquely filled with sun bleached shingled structures, inlets and marshes.” This is what one visitor wrote about their trip to Martha’s Vineyard. “I walked through the campground briefly. I remember the square with the tabernacle and how it was surrounded by cute cottages. I knew I wanted to see this again on my return trip to the vineyard. On our first day I briefly wandered around the same square while my friends shopped. I wanted to see more of it.” This is what another visitor to Martha’s Vineyard said about their trip. 

1 comment:


  1. Hi Lindsey,
    I absolutely love Martha’s Vineyard! I have also only gone once, and it was because my sister was on a vacation with her best friend and became homesick so we made a family trip out of it, to go get her! It was beautiful; it is such an expensive town though. I would also love to go back there it’s a cute little town. What do you mean the stories are special and unique? I haven’t heard any stories about Martha’s Vineyard, but I would love to hear some! Everyone that seems to visit the island seems to love it and I can see why. When did you to there? Was it over the summer? What was your favorite part about it? I went when I was like 9 years old so I didn’t really get the full gist of it because I was so young. You should take a day trip over April vacation with Doug and go!
    - Mackenzie Scheer

    ReplyDelete