Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting Enough Sleep


A lot of college students suffer from delayed sleep phase syndrome, simply by not getting enough hours of sleep at night. Students need more sleep than they think they do and their lack of sleep is the cause of many things that they do not know either. Weight gain and going blank on a test after studying all night is from lack of sleep. When you’re awake for more hours in a day, you tend to eat more especially late at night when you should be sleeping. When you don’t get enough sleep one night, the next day you need to find other sources of energy and food would be that source, meaning that you eat more of it to gain that energy you need throughout the day. Going blank on a test after being up all night studying is because you really don’t remember it because your brain didn’t have that time to rejuvenate and process what you had studied for so long. Rather than staying up all night trying to study, getting some sleep will help you more so you at least have some common sense when taking the test. Lack of sleep also affects your mood and no one wants to be around someone who is always miserable. You’re not going to make friends in school if you’re never happy. Not getting enough sleep can also affect your performance in other things, like sports. If your body did not get enough rest the night before a game, chances are you will not play your best because your body won’t have enough energy to support it. College kids are the most popular age to be deprived of sleep because, there up late on weekend nights and then up decently early for classes and then up late on week nights when they need to study. Not getting that much sleep can seriously do harm to your body and your academics. You need to schedule your time and make sure you’re getting enough sleep, because trust me, it has helped me so much in many different aspects; you’ll feel like a new person. To learn more about why getting sleep as a student will help you, check out this blog that I found really helpful. It goes into more detail of why we need it and all the good it does for you.

2 comments:

  1. Kate i agree with your blog. I myself am deprived of sleep most nights doing homework. being a athlete myself i realize that staying up late even for practice affects your play. I defiantly agree that staying up at night makes you eat. its absurd the amount of food i eat late at night. if i did not go to the gym and played a sport i could bet i would have that freshmen fifteen everybody is stressing about. i learned a lot from the blog you added. i will defiantly take this into consideration and hopefully get my sleeping habits on the right track again. thanks for the help kate your the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate I think your blog is super helpful because I always find myself staying up far too late doing homework or hanging out with friends. This happens every night and I always find myself not sleeping in enough so I am exhausted every day. Your blog has offered several pieces of useful advice that I will defiantly use from now on. Hopefully they will help but I am betting most of my problem resolves from staying up late every night and expecting different results. Still your blog offered very good advice that i will use.

    ReplyDelete