Monday, October 15, 2012


EYE CONTACT

One important tip that you should know is to always have good eye contact when talking to someone. Especially when you are applying for a job. If you have good eye contact it will show the person who you are talking to that you are a good listener and actually care about what is being said. Someone who has bad eye contact shows that the person does not care about what you have to say and that is just rude. Take this picture for instance, both of these people are giving each other great eye contact to show there affection for one another.

There is shown to be 5 important reasons why eye contact is important. Those reasons are respect, interest, appreciation, understanding, and eye contact can be the difference between seeming aloof and a new friendship. All of these reason are good strong reasons of why eye contact is very important. 5 reason to use eye contact. Here you can find the link and read more about what these topics are actually about.

If you are a shy person then maybe having good eye contact is not your strong suit. There is always room for improvement and that is okay if your not the best at giving eye contact. Some ways that might be easy to practice are maybe just by looking yourself in the minor and practicing a big speech you have to perform. Or maybe you have a huge job interview that your nervous about and you just need a friend or family member to help you with you body language. Here is a video that you can take a look at that may help you understand how good eye contact works.


Having good eye contact is a way of life and there is no way around it. Here is a blog explaining a little more about good eye contact. Best eye contact. Having good eye contact also means to have the person you are taking to feel comfortable. You do not want to make someone feel uncomfortable because you are making things  awkward. That is why I highly recommend that you watch the video and read the links that I posted so you can get a better understanding of how good eye contact is the key to success.


2 comments:

  1. Your blog goes directly with me and what I need to practice on. I have NEVER been good with eye contact, ever in my life. My parents used to yell at me because I never could look anyone in the eye. I don’t know why I can’t, maybe it freaks me out or it just makes me uncomfortable, I don’t really know. I never really thought about it being rude, but now that I think about it, it probably does look really rude when someone isn’t looking at you when you’re talking. It does also seem like you aren’t listening, which I never really thought about. I take a public speaking class now and I nail my speech every week, but can never look up and give eye contact to the audience. Every week, my class gives me feedback and that is the only thing I need to work on. It’s just really hard to get out of the habit but your tips like looking at yourself in the mirror and practicing or practicing with a friend would definitely make it much easier! The video also made it better to understand why you need to use eye contact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit all the key points to the importance of eye contact. In my opinion your five reasons why eye contact are spot on in pretty much every way. All throughout high school, I had to give countless speeches, presentations, and have many professional conversations with my teachers and admissions representatives of local colleges. I had to find out those five reasons the hard way, I had to have more than a couple conversations with my teachers before I became good at keeping eye contact with people. I was and still am a shy person and I have always found it hard to look people in the eye when I talked to them. Thankfully, now that I am attending Nichols College I have mastered the ways of eye contact for various situations. I am quite sure it will come in handy once more presentations for my classes are assigned.

    ReplyDelete